Car Bomb in Ankara Kills 32

A group of people touch the flag of Turkey at a funeral.

Funerals have been taking place for those killed in Sunday’s attack | BBC News

The city of Ankara, Turkey was rocked by another explosion this weekend. A car bomb in Guven Park in the Kizilay district killed 32 people and wounded 100 more; those people are being treated at ten different hospitals in the city. Initial evidence suggests the attack was orchestrated by outlaw group Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) or an affiliate of that organization.

The bombing comes not even a month after an attack on a military convoy in the city killed 28 people and wounded many more. That attack is suspected to have been committed on behalf of ISIS. Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that he believes this weekend’s attack targeted civilians instead because terrorist groups are losing their struggle against Turkish forces. He added that these attacks “increase our determination to fight terrorism.”

Two of those dead are believed to be the bombers responsible for the attack. So far 11 people have been detained in connection with the bombing, after a car used to carry the attack out was traced to a showroom in the southeastern city of Sanliurfa. Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Ala said the bombing’s investigation would be concluded early this week and the names of those behind it would be released. One of those bombers is believed to be a female member of the PKK who had joined the group in 2013.

Following the attacks Ankara issued a ban on access to social media which included Facebook and Twitter to stop people from sharing images of the bombing’s aftermath. Curfews have also been imposed in the mainly-Kurdish towns of Yuksekova and Nusabyin, Turkey.

Turkish warplanes have now been ordered to conduct airstrikes against 18 Kurdish targets in Iraq. The PKK has bases in the northern Iraq mountains where they control their operations in Turkey. These strikes were not initiated until it was confirmed that the PKK was the group responsible for the attack in Ankara, said Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Global News, government, News, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s