President Barack Obama on Friday said that Sony Pictures had made a mistake when it canceled the release of the film The Interview after a cyber attack from North Korean-backed hackers.
Several days after the announcement was made, Obama came forward and said, “I think they made a mistake. Let’s not get into that way of doing business.” While speaking to reporters at the White House Obama also said, “We cannot have a society where some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship here in the United States,” a sentiment that many Americans share.
The statement came hours after the FBI announced North Korea was officially responsible for the cyber attack on Sony Pictures. US government agencies have presented the White House a list of options to respond to the hack but that list doesn’t include adding North Korea to the list of state sponsors of terrorism.
The North Korean hackers that broke into Sony’s servers published private emails and information, and threatened to attack movie theaters that may screen The Interview, which is a comedy film about an assassination plot on North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
So far, no major video on demand distributors or streamers had offered to carry the film in America, despite a wave of suggestions to distribute the film outside of theaters. And despite enduring what he called “the worst cyber attack in American history,” said Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton said his studios would make the movie again, but may have “done some things slightly differently.”
But now, North Korea is calling the cyber attack “groundless slander” and officials would like a joint investigation into the incident with the United States. The spokesman said there would be serious consequences if Washington refused to agree to the probe and continue to accuse Pyongyang.